FUNCTIONAL ELECTRICAL STIMULATION BIKE (FES BIKE)
Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) is a co-ordinated electrical current causing muscles to contract during stationary biking. This cycling pattern exercises a patient's muscles as walking, running or cycling would do in a normal person.
What does FES cycling do?
Research has shown some positive benefits:
- Increase in bulk of stimulated muscles
- Increase in bone density in some leg bones
- Reduced body fat content
- Improved cardiovascular health (fitness training)
- Reduced risk of diabetes (improved glucose tolerance)
- Reduced spasticity in stimulated muscles
- Maintained flexibility